HB Services, LLC Home Improvement Blog
Welcome to the HB Services, LLC home improvement blog. Find great tips here on all of your home improvement projects!
How to Keep Hardwood Floors Looking Great
Handling Hardwood Floors
Hardwood floors provide beautiful warmth and style to your home. They offer the benefit of easy maintenance; however, you must care for your hardwood floors properly to maintain their natural beauty. We’ve designed this simple guide to help you protect your hardwood floors from day-to-day wear and tear like scratches and scuffs.
Keeping it Clean
One of the most important steps of wood floor maintenance is to keep it clean. Dirt and small rocks can be ground into the surface, eventually leaving scars in the finish of your hardwood.
The more traffic your floors see, the more often you should clean them. Sweep or dust mop your hardwood floors at least once per day. Once a week, use a vacuum set to the bare floor setting to bring up any debris trapped between the boards.
Once a month, go over your floors with a recommended hardwood cleaner. These compounds are designed to remove buildup without damaging your floor’s protective finish. Every few years, reapply the maintenance coat, and sand and refinished your hardwoods every few decades, as needed.
While cleanliness is your first line of protection, there are other things you can do to keep your hardwood floors in tip-top shape:
- Never use vinyl or tile cleaning products.
- Use rugs in entryways to stop buildup of dirt and debris.
- Never wet or steam mop a wood floor – the water can dull the finish and damage the wood.
- Immediately wipe spills up.
- Don’t overwax, it can dull your finish.
- Put felt covers on your furniture feet to prevent scratches.
- Use a humidifier in the winter to minimize gaps.