HB Services, LLC Home Improvement Blog
Welcome to the HB Services, LLC home improvement blog. Find great tips here on all of your home improvement projects!
General helpful tips for better home living.
- Planning Ahead: Spring Cleaning Checklist
- How to Keep Hardwood Floors Looking Great
- Paint Trends in 2017
- Quick and Affordable Holiday Decorating
- Welcome Thanksgiving Guests with a Beautiful Guest Room
- Improve Your Home’s Fire Safety This October
- Winter is Coming – Get Ready This Fall!
- Get Your Home Ready for Summer
- Increase the Value of Your Home in 3 Easy Ways
- Easy Home Modifications for the Elderly
- Built In Bookcases – New Trends and Ideas to Fit Any Style
- Save Money and Increase Value with Home Insulation
- How to Preserve Energy in Your Home in the Winter Months
- HB Services: Our 2015 Year in Review Milestones
- Your Guide to Last Minute Holiday Home Entertaining Shortcuts
- 3 Ways to Show Gratitude This Holiday Season
- 3 Common Mistakes Homeowners Make
- Stay Warm All Winter with These Tips for Winterizing Your Home
- How to Deep Clean Your Home and Get Ready for Thanksgiving
- Fall Exterior Maintenance Tasks You Shouldn't Ignore
- The “Heated” Debate: Covering Your AC Unit and Other Questions Answered
- Understand the Cost vs. Value of a Weather-Proof Home
- 5 Easy Steps to Secure Your Home While on Vacation
- New School Year
Getting Ready for Spring
Spring is still a few weeks away, but it’s not too early to begin your spring cleaning checklist. Plan ahead to ensure everything is completed on time and important areas of your home are not overlooked. When making your spring cleaning checklist, be sure to include:
- Wipe your walls and ceilings. Vacuum dust and cobwebs, then go back over with solvent-free degreaser to remove stains.
- Vacuum and shampoo rugs and carpet. Pay attention to cleaning requirements for each piece. A rotary shampoo machine and hot water machines can be used on most carpets. Oriental rugs require professional cleaning.
- Dust books and bookshelves. Remove everything from the shelves, wipe off or clean each item, and put it back.
- Polish all metal door and window hardware. Pay attention to doorknobs and hinges.
- Wax wooden furniture. Wipe down your surfaces with a mild dishwashing liquid and water. Let them dry then apply wax with a clean cloth. Let dry again and buff to shine.
- Do a safety check. Examine batteries in smoke detectors and give them a quick wipe to eliminate dust. Check the date on your fire extinguishers and refresh your family on their fire escape plan.
- Clean curtains and blinds. Your window treatments gather dust throughout the year, so make sure you clean them thoroughly. Check labels and machine wash what you can. Dry clean and wipe down the rest.
- Clean out your pantry. Check cans and boxes to see what’s expired and throw it away. Anything that will expire soon needs to be rotated to the front or donated.
- Wash your windows. The inside and outside surfaces need a good cleaning. If the exterior of your house is dirty, you can tackle everything at once with some environmentally friendly cleaner and a pressure washer.
Handling Hardwood Floors
Hardwood floors provide beautiful warmth and style to your home. They offer the benefit of easy maintenance; however, you must care for your hardwood floors properly to maintain their natural beauty. We’ve designed this simple guide to help you protect your hardwood floors from day-to-day wear and tear like scratches and scuffs....
2017: A Year in Paint
While it’s true that many neutral colors are timeless, there are still trends you can follow if you want to have the most up-to-date and beautiful home. We’ve categorized our favorite new shades of 2017 into two groups: bold and composed....
People tend to decorate their homes more extensively during the holidays than at any other time of year. Fortunately, there are hundreds of ways to make your home look beautiful for the holidays without breaking the bank. If you’re on a budget, consider these quick and affordable holiday project ideas:...
Many people find themselves hosting friends and relatives from out of town for overnight stays during the holidays. When guests come to stay, you naturally want them to be comfortable, and a guest room with fresh home décor can make an overnight in your home feel like a stay at a nice hotel. Here are some easy ways to make your guest bedroom feel cozy and welcoming....